According to The Librarianship Act, the central regional library is a public library that has signed contract with the ministry responsible for culture and, in agreement with its founder, performs special tasks for a wider area.
Based on the agreement issued by the Municipality of Ljubljana on the basis article 27 of The Librarianship Act, Ljubljana City Library became the central regional library of the central Slovenia region in 2003.
The central Slovenia region covers 28 municipalities, which represents 16% of Slovene territory. Beside the municipalities in the Ljubljana urban region, it also includes three Inner Carniola municipalities: Cerknica, Bloke and Loški potok. A quarter of Slovene population or 509.000 inhabitants reside in the region.
Performing the tasks of the central regional library
The regulation on the activity and funding of central regional libraries assigns the Ljubljana City Library four main tasks:
- Ensuring an enlarged and more demanding collection of library materials and information.
- Professional help to libraries of the region, including collaboration in planning the development of the information system.
- Coordinating collection, processing and preservation of local studies materials.
- Directing withdrawn library materials of its region.
The central Slovenia region public libraries
The Ljubljana City Library carries out tasks, appointed in the Regulations on central regional libraries, for the following libraries:
- Ljubljana City Library (municipalities of Ljubljana, Medvode, Vodice, Brezovica, Dobrova-Polhov Gradec, Ig, Škofljica, Velike Lašče and Horjul and Dol pri Ljubljani)
- Library Domžale (municipalities of Domžale, Lukovica, Mengeš, Moravče and Trzin),
- Grosuplje City Library (municipalities of Grosuplje, Dobrepolje and Ivančna Gorica),
- Kamnik Library (municipalities of Kamnik and Komenda),
- Ivan Cankar Library Vrhnika (municipalities of Vrhnika, Borovnica and Log-Dragomer),
- Jože Udovič Library Cerknica (municipalities of Cerknica, Bloke and Loška dolina),
- Litija Library (municipalities of Litija and Šmartno pri Litiji),
- Logatec Library (municipality of Logatec) and
- Medvode Library (municipality of Medvode).
In 2005, a team of central regional libraries' representatives formed a bilingual document "The mission and the vision of central regional libraries". All central regional libraries are coordinated by the Library System Development Centre in the National and University Library.